Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Grumpy old man

I am sick and tired of being the grumpy old man of the group but I do believe that there has to be someone in any community who reminds us where we actually are at. Like last night with Elluminate and Skeipe and the great daylight savings scam. Sure technology is great and we should all embrace the future and ----blah, blah, blah. However, there is a place for just standing, breathing in the fine air, and contemplating just exactly how much better all this is compared with where we were. I was reminded about all this when someone was recently explaining to me about the new BMW which didn't carry a spare tyre any more. Great boot space, more room for the kids in the back seat. BMW has developed a new type of tire which can 'self repair'. This means that when it is punctured it will still allow you to drive a number of miles so you can get to a garage and have a new wheel fitted, then continue on your journey. Unfortunately in NZ there are only a few dealerships who stock the replacement wheel, so if you have the misfortune to have a puncture whilst travelling down the West Coast of the South Island you may limp into a grage but the homely old mecahnic will scratch his head, quietly grin and inform you that the nice motel down the road does a great discount for weekly stays as this is how long it is going to take to get a replacement wheel from Auckland. In Europe and North America, of course, there are BMW dealerships every block or so , therefore you won't have such a problem. A case of the techno guys thinking up some great new thing but being so transplanted from the real world that -------, you fill in the gaps.

This all came about also because I was looking around for some resources for an upcoming tutorial on establishing and recognising authority and accidentally came across this Blog which I though might prove interesting to the group. Sure it's centered around commercial blogging but it does have some salient points. http://natewhitehill.com/top-5-reasons-most-blogs-dont-last/

2 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

Hi there, I know what you're saying and I must admit, I was waiting to see how long it would take for someone to blog about last night's episode. I was about to have a moan myself, but then I thought about it. If I was going to a face-to-face lecture at the Polytech, arrived and then was told that the teacher was sick and the lecture was canceled, I'd be really fed up. The effort of getting in the car, finding parking (which is the bane of my life), etc etc. At least I was comfortable in my own home, having a glass of wine while I waited for things to be sorted. But I think you're right that we must be careful not to throw the baby out with the bath water. Cheers Sarah

Sarah Stewart said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. Have a look on YouTube for those clips you were talking about-you'd be surprised at what you can find. Sarah